Info: This feature is only available in STANDARD and PRO packages.
Note: Only the new widget version 3 supports Google Analytics 4.
Turn Google analytics on in Smartsupp dashboard
You can measure the impact Smartsupp has on your conversion rate and visitor behavior in Google Analytics. You can set up if you'd like to send the data to your Google Analytics or not in your account.
Open the section Settings > Account Settings > Google Analytics > Click Connect button
When you activate the Google analytics integration you will see 2 options.
Auto-detect Measurement ID
- It'll automatically detect all Measurement IDs on the webpage and use it to send Smartsupp events to Google Analytics.
- When you only use 1 Google Analytics account, select this option. For most people this is the best option.
Manually define Measurement ID
- In case you use multiple Measurement IDs, select which Measurement ID you'd like to use for tracking Smartsupp events. This option won't work if you've previously activated the integration with Google Analytics via API following this tutorial.
- If you have more advanced use-case and are using multiple Google analytics accounts on your website, you can chose to which Google analytics account we should send events from Smartsupp.
Select which one is best for your and click save. From now on, Smartsupp will be sending events to your Google Analytics 4. There is one more step to get the full picture of how Smartsupp is impacting your goals.
Define the custom definitions
For the complete picture you need to go to your Google analytics 4 property and define 2 custom dimensions. Don’t worry, it is very easy.
Open your Google analytics 4 property > Click on admin > Click custom definitions > Click on Create custom dimension
Now you need to add 2 custom definitions
- Now type in the dimension name. This can be custom, but we recommend to name it: event_category
- Scope: make sure this is set to Event
- Give your custom definition a description. Again this is up to you. We recommend something in the line of: Smartsupp event category.
- Pick an event parameter. Make sure you pick event_category
Note: If you do not see event_category, it is either already defined or Google analytics have not yet received any event from Smartsupp. You can still define it
Now you need to repeat the process for the event_label dimension.
- Dimension name: event_label
- Scope: Event
- Description: Smartsupp event label
- Event parameter: event_label
You should end up with at least 2 dimensions defined, there can be more dimensions, but to track events from Smartsupp in Google analytics 4 properly, these 2 must be defined in the settings.
How to measure impact of Smartsupp in your Google analytics
Right now we are working on detailed tutorial on different ways how you can see the impact Smartsupp has on your metrics. We will release it soon.